Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pork Roast in my new dutch oven!

Last fall, after constantly drooling over Janet's very cool Le Creuset dutch oven collection at From Captain's Daughter to Army Mom, I finally bought a dutch oven!

I did not buy the Le Creuset one I wanted because I just didn't want to spend the money on one without knowing if I'd ever use it. After some research, I decided to go for the Tramontina dutch oven sold at Walmart for $44.97. With the 97 cents it cost to ship it -- and the tax -- I paid under $50 for it.

I used it one time about a week after I bought it. It has sat in the closet ever since. I've been afraid to use it because I don't know how! LOL

Then a few weeks ago, Janet posted this recipe for a pork roast.

Now that recipe looked fantastic -- and like something I could actually do! I was very excited at the prospect of using my dutch oven again.

After forgetting to buy apples and a pork roast every single week since that recipe was posted, I finally remembered them this week. Today, I finally prepared it and I have to say it was absolutely delicious!!

Using the "hey, I'm still a newbie blogger!" excuse, I forgot to take photos while preparing it. However, I did remember to get one at the end:

Cooked perfectly with nice apples and onions to top each slice.


I made my recipe pretty much the same way with a few minor changes. Here's what I did:

1 pork roast (I bought a 5lb roast and cut it in half since it was just me and hubby)
3 Granny Smith apples, sliced
2 sweet onions, sliced
1 cup of white wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey

Season the roast (I use Nature's Seasonings and garlic pepper) and brown all sides in hot olive oil with 2 cloves of crushed garlic in the dutch oven on top of the stove. Remove the roast and pour in the white wine and stir to deglaze. Add soy sauce and honey. Mix well with a whisk and bring to a boil. Put the roast back into the dutch oven and coat with the mixture.

Add the onions and apples and stir to coat as best you can.

Cook in oven for 3 hours at 350 degrees.

It came out perfectly!! The only thing I might do differently next time is to add some more wine while it's cooking.

One nice-sized serving left over -- perfect for hubby later this week.

I hope to use my dutch oven some more now that I'm a little more comfortable with it! Thanks, Janet, for the great recipe. My hubby loved it!


Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

It does look good! Thanks for posting the recipe. I know my family will love it!

Have a great day.
Pam

Janet said...

You had a Fantastic result and good for you for choosing a more economical Dutch oven - Bravo!!

Thank you for the shout- out! I have added your beautiful blog to my favorites and will be checking in often!

Always my best to you,

Janet

Designs on 47th Street said...

You have the best recipes. I just know you are an excellent cook. this one looks really good. Thanks for the recipe!
Donna

NanE said...

Good morning Carolyn, this looks like another great recipe to try! I usually do my pork roast in the crockpot.
I wanted to tell you that your verse was my inspiration for my post today and I gave a shout out to your blog :) have a look when you get a second! Have a great week, Nan

Jodi said...

That looks very yummy and sounds easy too! I may have to look into a dutch oven. I am loving all your recipes you have been posting.

Take care! Jodi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...