Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Parmesan Baked Fish

I rarely cook fish. Not because I don't know how to cook -- I just don't know how to cook fish.

Fish kinda scares me a little bit...

Many years ago, I found this recipe in a cookbook and I thought I could handle this! Easy, simple ingredients and not a lot of effort. So I gave it a try and hubby and I both loved it! I've made it over and over and it works great with whatever kind of fish you're using.

I'm still scared of fish though! I never quite know what to buy and usually go with whatever the guy at the store recommends or whatever the store carries a lot of in the frozen aisle. I especially like it when I see someone who looks like they know how to cook fish buying fish. I wait for them to move far away and then I buy the same thing.

My daughter has wanted to try salmon so I thought I'd make it for her while she was home during Easter. A local grocery store had a big special on frozen pink salmon a couple of weeks ago, so I picked up a few and made them with my recipe. She said she loved it and she ate almost all of it!

Wash fish fillets and pat dry. Put on foil-lined baking pan sprayed with Pam or non-stick spray. These are pink salmon that came frozen in a 16oz (1 pound) package. 

Salt and pepper the fillets and then put a heaping spoonful of mayonnaise on top. I really hate it when someone doesn't list an EXACT measurement; but this will vary depending on the fish! You might need to add more mayo -- you want enough to coat the entire fish on the top and the sides. 

Fillets are coated in mayo. 

Sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese. I put enough to cover the top. 

I usually add fresh shredded parmesan to the top of that (I had refrigerated this time) and then sprinkle with paprika. 

Bake at 450 for about 25 minutes. I will broil them for about 30 - 60 seconds to get the topping "crunchy melted" 

Incredibly easy! Everyone I have ever made this recipe for has loved it! If you want to give it a try, here's the recipe:

Parmesan Baked Fish
16 ounces fresh or frozen fish fillets. (if frozen, thaw first)
Non-stick spray coating
1/2 cup mayonnaise (could be more -- could be less)
Grated parmesan cheese
Paprika
Salt and pepper

Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray coating. Put fish on foil-lined pan (skin side down) and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Spread mayonnaise over the fish fillets. You can spread as thinly or as generously as you wish. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the mayonnaise and then sprinkle with the paprika.

Bake in preheated oven at 450 for about 25 minutes. If using very thin fillets, they may cook faster.

When done, put underneath broiler for 30-60 seconds. (Sometimes I do not do this as the fish has cooked perfectly and I don't want the topping to become more brown.)

And... serve!

A few variations I've tried:
Mixing the parmesan and the mayonnaise together before spreading it.
Adding chopped green onions to the top.
Sprinkle with garlic (fresh or powder) to the filet before spreading the mayo.

Thanks for visiting!

 

13 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Look really good to me! Of course, Fisherhubby HATES Parmesan, so I doubt I'll get him to even TRY this.

When I watch cooking shows on the Food Network they always say things about fish and cheese not working together and I think, WHAT??? I love fish and cheese together.

Blondie's Journal said...

You sound just like me, Carolyn...I love to cook but fish is foreign to me. I love this recipe and I have some salmon in the freezer so I am going to try it. It looks lovely, too! Thanks so much!

XO,
Jane

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Hi Carolyn, I'm so glad you put this recipe up with step by step instructions, as well. I love baking or grilling fish... and the family loves it!!! but I usually use tilapia fillets sprinkled with seasonings and Italian flavored breadcrumbs on top drizzled with olive oil.. but your recipe looks incredibly simple and yummy... never tried fish and cheese before so I'm going to give it a try this weekend... thanks again! ~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

ChristianKid said...

that fish was DELICIOUS!!! please make again next time i'm home :)

The French Hutch said...

I think I might be able to make this recipe. I feel the same as you about fish, I love it but never had much success cooking it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm going to have to try it.........

~Emily
The French Hutch

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

YUM!
This looks like even I could handle it! I hate to make fish in my home because of the smells that linger but this one looks too good to pass up. Thanks so much for sharing Carolyn!
xx
A

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Carolyn!
We just had this for dinner! So easy and it turned out great!
We made it with tilapia and I am going to try it again soon with salmon. I highly recommend this recipe too!
It will be in my file now.
:)
Alison

Jessica said...

This looks so good! I love salmon. Tilapia is another good one to try if you're not too used to cooking fish (like me).
Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. Now following you too :)

Designs on 47th Street said...

Carolyn, I bet this is delicious. I have a feeling you are a very good cook. I am going to try this recipe.
I invite you to come look at my latest tablescape if you have time. (I know you like tablescapes! ;)
Donna

ropcorn said...

Yummy! Looks and sounds pretty easy too. And I love that there are only a few ingredients as well. Perfect! :p

Susan in SC said...

That looks so good! I have never been able to cook fish. I am going to give this a try!

Penny said...

My husband is in charge of fish cooking in our house. He loves it more than me. Love your blog. I love living on a lake too. We also built a garage with guest quarters. Thanks for visiting and I will be back here often.

Unknown said...

Since I do not like regular baked fish I thought of baking fish using mayo and parmesan cheese. I needed direction and in seeking I found your recipe which was so good and tasty. Next, time I try to remember to refrigerate my fish after applying the mayo and P-cheese.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...