Monday, April 4, 2011

Easy and Delicious Meatloaf


yum! Meatloaf...

Yesterday was another beautiful day today in Iowa! When I woke up in the morning, the sun was just starting to rise. I took my coffee onto the back deck and sat in the sun while I listened to the birds singing. Later in the morning I went to church and had to sit by a window just to be near the sunshine.

After being stuck inside all winter, a day like that just brings everybody outside. Including me, of course. The last thought on my mind is "what will I make for dinner?" and suddenly at 6 p.m. I realize I needed to come up with something. That's when one of those easy-to-do meals comes in very handy! Something I always have the ingredients on hand for...

So I decided to make Easy Meatloaf. I originally found the recipe on the back of a Stove Top Stuffing mix box years ago and after modifying it a few times I have my standard recipe and would love to share it with you!

Ingredients are simple: 2 pounds ground beef, 1 package Stove Top stuffing mix and 2 eggs.

My modifications are adding onions and water chestnuts. My Aunt told me she added water chestnuts to her recipe, so one day I decided to add them to mine and we absolutely loved it, so I always use them now!

I will also occasionally put craisins into the recipe as well. Last winter I found Stove Top had a cranberry stuffing mix and I picked up a few boxes and now use this all the time.

Lastly, I use a topping of ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. Or just ketchup and brown sugar.

The recipe will make 1 large loaf or 2 small loaves. I usually do 2 loaves and either cook them together -- or cook one and freeze one.

Very simple ingredients!

Chop the sliced water chestnuts into pieces

Mix ground beef, stuffing, eggs, onions and water chestnuts
 
Shape into loaves. I usually cook one and freeze one.
 
Mix ketchup and brown sugar
 
Pour ketchup/sugar mixture over meatloaf
  
Baked and all done!

See?? Easy!!

Here's the recipe if you'd like to give it a try:

Easy Meatloaf
Prep: 5 minutes
Bake: 1 hour for 1 loaf, 30-35 minutes for 2 loaves
Serves: 6-8

Ingredients:
2 pounds lean ground beef (can also use ground turkey)
1 package Stove Top Stuffing mix for beef (I used Cranberry)
1 can of sliced water chestnuts (chopped some more)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup water

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 T mustard if desired

Directions:
Mix 1 cup water, ground beef, contents of stuffing mix, eggs, chopped water chestnuts and the ketchup.

In a separate bowl, mix the ketchup and brown sugar (and mustard if desired). You can double this if you prefer more topping on the meatloaf. Or adjust it to taste.

Shape the meat mixture into 1 or 2 oval loaves in center of a 13x9 baking pan. Spread the brown sugar mixture over the top. (I use a smaller baking pan when only baking 1 loaf.)

Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour if making 1 loaf. Bake 30-35 minutes if you have made 2 loaves (same time if you're cooking 2 smaller loaves or 1 loaf).

And enjoy!!

Thanks for reading!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Carolyn this dish looks sooo delicious. I think I might try it without the beef and use ground turkey.(I don't eat beef). Do you think it will come out okay? Luv-Loretta

Carolyn said...

I think it'll come out great! Let me know what you think!

Diane said...

Meat loaf is one of my all time favorite dinners. No kidding, I eat it 3-4 times a week!

I've never had it with water chestnuts but I love water chestnuts. I will have to give this a try VERY soon!

Anonymous said...

Well, Yum! You know I'm always up for a new recipe. Thanks, Carol!

Jodi said...

That's very similar to how I make mine. Mine is minus the extra onion and water chestnuts; I use bbq sauce on top instead of ketchup. It's so easy and yummy too!

Jodi

Keetha Broyles said...

I love a good meat loaf.

elizabeth@themustardceiling said...

Yum, looks delicious. I always love a hearty, homecooked meal. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving me a lovely comment today.

ChristianKid said...

i'm sure those who love meatloaf love your recipe mom. however if you make that while i am home - i will run for the hills. literally. blech. :P

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

We have made a million meatloaves but this one sounds really good! Tahnks so much for the recipe! I love the idea of the Craisins!!!!XO, Pinky

NanE said...

Hi Carolyn! I stumbled on your blog yesterday and I have so much to say to you!!!!
First, I am not a big fan of meatloaf, but this looked really good so I tried it last night and I am hooked! It was wonderful!
Second, I am so jealous! I have wanted a Havanese for several years now but hubby says no more dogs (we have two) but Holly is just too adorable! I'm convinced this is the breed for us if/when we get another dog. I noticed the picture by the water, does she like to swim?
And finally, when I clicked on your "about me" link at the top, I was stunned to see the verse you've chosen. I have been stewing all morning over a decision I need to find the courage to make. Thank you so much for letting God speak to me through you. Hugs and blessings, Nan
PS, I use a lot of exclamation marks!, LOL!

Pamela Gordon said...

Carolyn, this recipe looks so good that I copied it down and will try it. I may have made 3 meat loaves in our almost 34 years of marriage and not in the last 20 I'm sure!! It was never a favorite growing but maybe that was because my mother didn't have a good recipe like yours! (Stove Top hadn't been invented then either!) Thanks for sharing your recipe. I posted a comment on your 'barn fire' too.
Have a great day! Blessings, Pamela

Marlis said...

Your meat loaf looks scrumptious! Thanks for dropping in and leaving a comment. Good luck on the giveaway, I too love the sketch floral.

Designs on 47th Street said...

Hi Carolyn, I bet this meatloaf is really, really good. I have been looking for a new and simple recipe. We do love water chestnuts..I like the crunch factor. Thanks for sharing!
Donna

Emily @ RemarkableHome said...

OOOhhh, this is making me hungry for meatloaf! I am going to do the ketchup and brown sugar topping...that will be yummy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...