Saturday, March 26, 2011

Cake Pops!

I am going to visit my daughter at her college tomorrow. I wanted to bring her something fun and exciting and really cool and most of all -- homemade.

Now, I know how to do homemade. I am very good at homemade. I have been known to stay up all night long to finish a cake made from scratch because I am so dedicated (ok, ok, usually it's because I start things at 10 pm).

Instead of making one of the many goodies that I can whip out with my eyes closed, I decided to make something new. Something really cute, really delicious, decorated with finesse and packaged beautifully. I decided to make the little Cake Pops that has made Bakerella (aka Angie) famous!

I bought Angie's book the moment she announced it on her blog last year. I've been planning on making these for a long time and bought all the stuff to do it with.

My design: A Jackrabbit. Why? The college athletics mascot is a Jackrabbit. No, really. It is.

Using this photo as a guide, I was going to make my Jackrabbit pops in blue and gold and they were going to look tough -- yet cute. Jackrabbits can look tough. No really. They can.



Cake pops are easy. Make a box cake, let it cool, crumble it up, mix it with frosting, dip it in melted candy coating and decorate. Easy, easy, easy.

Or so I thought.

Without going into all the nasty details, let me just sum it up by stating the obvious: candy melts are the absolute worst thing in the world to work with.

I was hoping to be showing you amazing cake pops in the next photos. But, I'm all about keeping it real.

So....... whaddya think?? Resemble a Jackrabbit to you?? Resemble a cake pop???

First Batch

Second Batch

I gave up on the Jackrabbit idea and went for desperate swirl instead.

Well, the good thing is that they do taste great. Hubby loves them. I am still going to bring them to my daughter -- even though they aren't cute and adorable.

I call them Cake Blobs.


Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

LOL!!!

This looks like something I would do.

My friend made some of these for Christmas - - - well, not rabbits, but reindeer and snowmen. I THINK she put the stick in before she dipped them. Then she made a little "stand" where she placed them standing up on their sticks to dry.

Darcy Therese said...

Oh Carol, you know she'll adore them just because you made them for her! I still have to go visit that lady sometime too! I just don't know when...

Anonymous said...

Give K a hug from me!!!
She won't care what they look like, only that you took the time to make them for her~

Unknown said...

Ohhh, how cute! Loretta

Pamela Gordon said...

They look good to me! I could eat half a dozen right now. I'm sure your daughter and her friends will love them. Pamela

Desiree said...

Omg, thank you so much for this! I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one who has yet to master the cake pops! :-) Although, seriously yours look great and much more like her red velvet cake balls! :-)

Are you going to try them again?

Dannyelle said...

I love your keeping it real, and your lovely blog. Thanks for your sweet comments over at www.lifeisaparty.ca I have attempted cakepops a few times, the first time was a disaster! One tip, add a little crisco to your candy bark and it will be more runny and smooth. And put them in the freezer before you dip them, already on the stick. I'm sure they tasted great though!
Dannyelle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...