Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Treasures! Found right in my own home...

We are in a bit of a unique situation right now. Three years ago, we bought our lake house that we plan to live in permanently. Our acreage, a house and property in the country that we have called home for the past 20 years, is for sale. Once it sells, the lake house will become our permanent residence. Both homes are within 20 minutes of each other, so it's easy to go back and forth. 

I've been spending a lot of time going through all the items at the acreage and trying to get organized. What will we keep? Throw away? Give away? Save for our daughter when she has a place of her own? Since the place has been for sale for two years, I've managed to accomplish a lot -- yet there is still much left.

The other night, I opened up the drawers to the china cabinet.  I wanted to take a quick peek inside them to see how much was there. These drawers have held odds and ends for nearly 20 years. When we moved to Iowa, I put items in there that were not used very often and there has not been a reason to open the drawers since that day. I knew what they held: candlesticks, silver bowls, crystal and other things that I never used but wanted to keep.

The bottom drawers held some linens. I took those out to wash and refresh them and then noticed two wooden boxes underneath them. I recognized immediately what kind of boxes these were...



Oh yeah... Jackpot!

Hubby had these when I married him. I came across them when we were first married but forgot all about them!

While opening each wooden box, I wasn't sure what was going to be inside. In the first box, I was absolutely delighted to find Kirk & Son sterling silver, service for 6. The other box is International silverplate, service for 8 with 16 teaspoons, the serving pieces and a few other little items. Neither set has soup spoons.

One can never have too many sets of silverware.




If you feel the same way I do about anything that involves setting the table -- even a tiny little salt shaker -- you can imagine how excited I was! Although it was 11:30 pm, I danced around the house in my pajamas clutching my new treasures -- and then headed into the kitchen to grab the silver polish.

The Kirk & Son set is polished now.




I've tried without any success to find the name of the patterns. Does anybody know what these patterns are?

Update: Thanks to Tricia at The Dull and the Dutiful, the S. Kirk & Son pattern is called Kingsley.

The International set is called Interlude.



Both sets are in perfect condition! I can't wait to use them!

Thanks for visiting my blog!



I'm am linking up with:

8 comments:

Tricia said...

Wow, what a fabulous surprise to find! I've had good luck sending photos of patterns to Replacements.com to identify. They usually write back within a couple of days with the name of the pattern. Enjoy your new finds!

Tricia said...

I just looked at Replacements.com, and I think the sterling pattern might be Kingsley. Here's a link:
http://www.replacements.com/webquote/KISKING.htm

Carolyn said...

Tricia, that is the pattern! Thank you! I never thought to look there but will remember it in the future.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

That is a great find!! What fun to find something that you'd forgotten about it!

The silver looks even more beautiful now that you've polished it.

Thanks for sharing.

Pam

Anonymous said...

You can also check Replacements if you want to add pieces to either set, Carol. I found more place settings to add to my china, which had been discontinued shortly after we got married. I could get in a lot of trouble, shopping there online!
Enjoy those gorgeous pieces~

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

My, oh my. You did indeed hit the jackpot! Can you imagine the beautiful tablescapes you'll be able to create with these lovelies? How is it we can have such wonderful treasures hidden - right under our noses - for such extended periods of time?!

Thanks for joining the party and for becoming a following friend. I have just joined you as a follower, as well.

I would love to have you link to my party each week and join me for "Funny Faux Pas Follies," - starting this Friday. Just click the party button in my sidebar for the details.

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Carolyn said...

Thanks Liz! I will definitely join the party!

Beth said...

Lucky you! These must have belonged to your parents in parents-in-law. I got some sterling from my m-i-l, and bought some gorgeous silverplate on ebay. Love ebay!
Blessings, Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...