Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Italian Heritage - and an addition to the spaghetti sauce recipe

I received the nicest email from a fellow blogger about my "jazzed-up" emergency spaghetti sauce from a jar! Thought I'd share her suggestions here:

"Other additions to throw into a jar of sauce at the last minute:
Frozen spinach, frozen meatballs (may need to defrost first) roasted red peppers, cream, wine, smoked sausage, kielbasa, pine nuts, onion slices mixed in olive oil or saute until carmelized."

Thanks Lauren!

I promise to post my mom's sauce recipe soon, too. She was Italian and a fabulous chef!

Speaking of my Italian heritage, I thought I'd post a photo of my great-grandparents. They are my mother's mother's parents and came over from Italy around the early 1900's.

Leaning against the chair is what looks like a brace of some sort. Perhaps with wheels? It's not part of the chair and we can't even begin to guess what it is. Does anybody know? On the back of the photo, it has my great-grandparent's names and "deceased child" and "Uncle Mel" -- Uncle Mel later became a Catholic priest. I don't know which boy is which.and was told that the child who passed away may have died from diptheria...
 

My great-grandparents, Domenico Mastroianni and Mariantonia Perretta Mastroianni, and their first two children. Guessing this is from the late 1800's or early 1900's
The Mastroianni's with more of their children.
My grandmother, Angelina, (born in 1912) is the little girl standing in the front.
 

Thanks for visiting my blog!

9 comments:

Kathy said...

I often doctor up sauces when I am in a pinch! Love frozen meatballs - they absorb the sauce so well! I was actually thinking of Spaghetti tonight, but I made Alfredo sauce last night - Dearest will be looking for something different. Love the photos of your family - I have a few - it is so wonderful to be in touch with your heritage,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Hey - nice blog, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love your beautiful family photos of so long ago! Lovely family, and your "little" grandma is gorgeous. I told a blogger friend that I'm originally from Astoria-Queens and grew up in an Italian-Irish neighborhood, (now it's Greek) and I used to go almost every Sunday to my best friend, Anttoinete Graci's house and her mama used to give me the most delicious food I can Imagin...so now I'm a good Italian food cook, I make my own spaghetty, ravioli's, lasagna, etc...my family is very spoiled with pasta. I'd love to have your family recipes. Thank you for sharing. Hope you visit!
LOVE
FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Here I am again pretty girl! Sorry I forgot to thank you for such lovely comment and for your great visit!!! WOW! I was so taken by your family pics that I completely forgot my purpose!

XOXO
FABBY

Designs on 47th Street said...

What neat family photos. Thanks much for the sauce recipe. Jazzing things up is always a great idea.

Slice of Pie said...

You are one of my new followers and I'm thrilled that I backtracked to find this post. What beautiful family photographs ... and how fortunate you are to have them. thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

Carolyn, I can't wait to meet you! I'm so glad you come to my area periodically. You can e-mail me at BethieLauren@gmail.com and we can make arrangements to meet - I think it will be great!
Blessings, Beth

Lori E said...

Hmmm I wonder what that is. I am sure some brilliant reader will be able to tell you.
I am a genealogy nut and research as much as I can time permitting.
Any friend of Keetha's is a friend of mind. Lol.

Angela said...

Your last name is quite familiar in our part of town (Mastroianni's)...I live near Niagara Falls Ontario...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...