Monday, March 14, 2011

Kiss me! I'm Irish! No, really... I am.

Ok, so I'm 1/4 Irish - 1/4 Italian - 1/4 Lebanese - 1/4 English. Quite the mixture, isn't it?

My dad's mother was Irish and I was told my black hair and blue eyes are from the Irish side of the family. My dad had black hair and blue eyes -- as did his mother and about half his siblings. "Black Irish" is the term my father used.

I've occasionally met people who are surprised to hear there is even a twinkling of Irish in me because apparently I don't look the part.

St. Patrick's Day is an e.v.e.n.t. where I live. It goes on for days and is very cool. The town is named for the Irish patriot, Robert Emmet, and there is even a statue of him outside the courthouse in the center of town. We happen to have one of the only 4 statues in existence -- I believe the others are in Dublin, Ireland and California and Washington DC.

I do enjoy aspects of the celebration but for the most part, I'd rather read about it afterwards. Too many people and too much celebrating for me!

Quietly at home is more my speed. And with that said, I'm very excited to share my 2nd ever tablescape today!!

Table is set for brunch and location is in our sunroom at the lake:

Centerpiece is a Shamrock plant still in the florist container with the pretty ribbon
 
A tiny whimsical touch of Irish on each spoon
 
I love the shamrock design on the embroidered cut-work table topper

Closer view
 
Individual butter dish for each person
 
Side table held the Irish coffee mugs with sugar and Bailey's Irish Creme
 
Closer view. You can see the lake beyond the windows. Still ice right now!
 
Place setting

Another angle

Using the flatware I discovered in my own home a few weeks ago
 
View of the sunporch. It's actually on the upper level of our home with a fantastic view of the lake.
 
Using my favorite goblets
 
From above
 
My helper, Holly. She loves to be involved with whatever I am doing!
 
A few glittery shamrocks in the Shamrock plant


What's on the table:
Dinner plates and bread plates: Mikasa Italian Countryside
Salad plates and small fruit bowls: Martha Stewart "Hudson" from Macys
Water goblets:  Villeroy & Boch "Boston Green" Collection
Flatware: S. Kirk & Son "Kingsley" (found in my home!)
Butter dishes: Crate and Barrel
Napkins: Walmart
Table square: Already owned
Shamrock plant centerpiece: local garden center

I had fun with this tablescape! I used the shamrock square top without a tablecloth underneath it as I love the open feel of the glass table.

The individual butter knives were collected from the various flatware sets I have.

Loooove those butter dishes. they are two pieces (the bowl to hold the butter and the lid to cover it). When it is just Hubby and me for dinner, I don't mind using the 'community butter dish' but otherwise, I much prefer giving each person their own.


Each butter dish holds about 4 tablespoons of butter. I usually add 3-4 tablespoons. Just cut them from the stick and put inside the bowl and let it soften to room temperature. You can also soften it in the microwave (as my photo below shows) but it can over-melt if you don't watch it closely. Once softened, I use a tiny fork and give the butter a quick stir and put a swirl on the top!

You could also use the top as a tiny cloche!

Add 3-4 tablespoons of butter to bowl.

Let stand until it is room temperature or soften in microwave (watch it closely!)

Give the softened butter a swirl and put the lid on!



Thanks for reading!



I will be linking up with:

Show and Tell Saturdays at Be Different Act Normal
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Mosaic Monday at Little Red House
Amaze Me Monday at Dittle Dattle

Tabletop Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tablescape Thursday at Between Naps on the Porch
Third Annual St. Patrick's Day Blog Crawl on March 15th at Cuisine Kathleen's

32 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

How beautiful, I can just imagin the view from your sunroom! I love your dishes with the green and yeah, your green embroidered table topper is gorgeous! I love Bailey's on my coffee, and your gobletts are terrific. A beautiful tablescape, for a "kind" of an Irish girl...it doesn't matter, for tonight at "Cuisine Kathleen", I'll be posting my St. Patty's table...you have to check it out and I suggest tonight you go there and post this pretty table, so everyone will see it Tuesday for the St. P's party. Oh...I'm not Irish, like, EVER!...but I'll be there!
XO
FABBY

Keetha Broyles said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely!!!

I'm not much of a tablescaper, but if I were I'd enjoy one much like this!

And sitting RIGHT ON THE LAKE like that??? Pure bliss - - - of course fisherhubby would be out there with a very expensive pole and an even MORE expensive reel in his hands - - - - I'm just sayin'

Marlis said...

The tablecloth.. oh my that is one fabulous piece. What a great starting off spot. the dishes you chose are wonderful I love your green goblets too.. A truly charming and lovely table. Happy St. Pat;s to you.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tablescape! The backdrop is breathtaking! You have the flair...no doubt about it! I really enjoyed viewing your pics. Thanks for sharing them. Luv-Loretta

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Carolyn,

Your tablescape is so pretty! And I can't believe that gorgeous view of the lake right out of this room. Wow!!

My father's mom was Irish too, but I'm blonde and green eyed. Never can tell about us Irish people... :)

Have a great day.

Pam

Anonymous said...

I'm half Irish, Carol, and like you, prefer to miss the crowds. I will do the 5K Saturday morning, then drive one of our antique tractors in the parade, but no packed bars for me!

Your table is a work of art, and a reminder to me that I have yet to pick up my shamrock plant! The do well outside, once it warms up. Just cut it back when it gets wilted, keep it watered and in a sunny place and it will bloom again. :)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Carolyn,
It's very nice to 'meet' you! You have set a wonderful table in celebration of St. Patricks Day. I love the table topper! The shamrock plant makes a wonderful centerpiece and your goblets are lovely! Sitting at your table and looking at the lake sounds so lovely! Thank you so much for stopping by and introducing yourself and have a wonderful St. Patricks Day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Well, Just Lovely! Such a pretty table cloth & I love the butter dishes. Fun to see that silver set being used... glad that you told the story on that, earlier :) It is really very pretty.
I am most jealous of the view.. OMG!! To have that place to sit & dine, or just my morning coffee.
We have been looking for a few yrs. for just that spot. Even made a few offers on lake front places... but haven't found it yet :)
Thanks for stopping by earlier & leaving such glowing comments.
Upholstery really is not that hard, you just take it apart, use as a pattern & put it back together. I just saw someone on TV once do it & thought, "I can do that"
Enjoy that view you have... soon the ice will be gone & Holly will want to be out there, playing in the sun :)

Beth said...

Hi Carolyn, What a pretty table! Love the little butter dishes, and what I love MOST is your view of the lake!!!!
Blessings, Beth

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

When is lunch? Your tabletop is just lovely and I love those little butter dishes. I'm part Irish too. Your view of the lake is amazing. This is my first visit to your blog. I came over from ASTL today.
http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

Pam Kessler said...

I came over from Cuisine Kathleen's St Paddy's Day party. Your table is beautiful and your sunroom is gorgeous. I would love to be that close to the lake, although I'd have to move 200 miles to get to a real one.

Lynn said...

A very festive table and beautiful topper! Looks like you're ready for St. Pat's Day-enjoy:@)

Marigene said...

Beautiful table...love all my favorite color...green! Your table topper is fabulous.

Carolyn said...

Thank you for the comments everybody! It really means a lot, especially to a new blogger like me! I'm still figuring out the blogging ropes and although I may not reply personally (because I haven't figured that out yet - lol!), I do check out anybody with a blog.

This is so much fun!

The Tablescaper said...

So beautiful. Love that shamrock table topper. Wonderful goblets.

Thanks for sharing with Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady. Your tablescapes are so lovely sweet lady. I love the vintage tablecloth with the Shamrocks, and your lovely dinnerware for St. Patrick's Day sweet lady ~~~ I also love the view of the lake ~~~ I hope you have a Great Day.
xxoo
Diane

Dreamgoddess said...

How pretty! I bet the view is amazing! I'm drooling over your cutwork cloth...it's gorgeous and so perfect with your setting. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Donnie said...

What a fun table you set and I love the butter cloches.

Kathleen said...

I knew those were V and B glasses! I always admired them in the store,
Love your table, and I like the quiet celebration too! Just 6 here for dinner tomorrow. Come see my table if you have time, very Irish!
Thanks for linking up to the party!

Pamela Gordon said...

What a beautiful spot to enjoy a meal! I love your view, even if there is ice on the lake right now. Your tablescape is so pretty! Pamela

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

Beautiful table! I am so enjoying all of the St. Pat's tables this week. I love those green glasses; I am going to have to invest in a set. Wonderful! Thanks also for the tip on melting the butter in the individual butter dishes. I have them as well, but in the past I've let the butter soften and then whipped it and put it in the containers. I like yoru way much better.

Entertaining Women said...

The repetition of the swirls in your chair backs, the edge of the shamrocks, and your accent plates tie your tablescape together perfectly! Great eye, yet again. Thank you for sharing your lovely design. Cherry Kay

Suzy said...

What a beautiful view you have! Your table is just gorgeous. I have a helper like your Holly named Jigs.

Diane said...

Lovely tablescape, everything came together beautifully. Envy you living on the water..sigh!

Chubby Chieque said...

TAblecloth is absolutely gorgeous. The goblets are a fav too.

Happy TS...

Greetings from Stockholm,
/chie

Tess said...

Your table is perfectly beautiful. That table topper is to die for!!!! Love the green goblets and your silverware too! I'm with you...happy to stay home on this holiday. I've got plans to celebrate quietly too!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

My Cozy Casita said...

Beautiful tablescape I love your plate,and vintage tablecloth with the Shamrocks.
Thank you so much for your comments on my blog.
Blessing and Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!
Isora

My Cozy Casita said...

Beautiful tablescape I love your plate,and vintage tablecloth with the Shamrocks.
Thank you so much for your comments on my blog.
Blessing and Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!!
Isora

Elisabeth said...

You did a lovely job! Everything looks perfect. I don't know of any one thing that I liked better than another, it is all so nice!

Thanks for stopping by Treasuring the Moments and leaving a comment. I appreciate it.

Elisabeth

Debbiedoos said...

That is a gorgeous gorgeous table. I love the windows too. I can't wait for you to share your spray paint projects. I laughed at your comment that you are hooked...YEP that is what happens:)

Emreen said...

Lovely arrangement... The cut work table topper is gorgeous... And those goblets too.....!!

Very beautiful...

Celine Collins said...

Decadent, through and through! Thanks for sharing your beautiful setting...and table setting...with the rest of us, from the close-up views to the wide-angle, it's all gorgeous!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...