Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Walking on the Wild Side

I know... I know... you'll all scoff at me and say "that's your 'wild side?' hahahahahaha!"

As much as I love to create things and I can spend every waking moment sewing a quilt or making soap, I have rarely (maybe never?) changed anything!

So call me wild........ 

(Drum roll here......................................)

I spray painted a mirror!!!     woohoo!


Ok, technically it was the frame of a mirror.

My
first experience with spray paint! I used Rust-Oleum MultiColor Textured Spray in Carribean Sand.


(Yes, I forgot to take a "before" photo. I am working on remembering to do that. Picture this with an ugly, fake plastic oak wood frame and hanging on the wall in the bathroom above the toilet. I picked this item to start with because if I messed it up, it wouldn't be a loss of something nice.)

I thought I did everything perfectly like covering up the mirror with paper and tape ... spraying it evenly with a few light coats of spray paint ... letting it dry the recommended amount of time. However, when I hung up my newly repainted mirror, I discovered the back of the brown frame was reflected in the mirror!

Bummer.

I do not like to make mistakes because I do not like to correct mistakes. But I knew my obsessive-compulsiveness for perfection would kick in every time I looked at this mirror and I would never be happy with it.

So I removed the backing, removed the mirror and spray painted the back of the frame and let it dry. Put it all back together and re-hung it in its original spot.

I'm so thrilled with it! I even had to pour a glass of wine and then sit on the edge of my bathtub for half an hour just to stare at it.

My first spray paint project was a success. Most importantly, I learned I can change something and be happy with it.

I bought a dozen more cans of spray paint at Walmart this weekend... oh yeah.

Thanks for visiting!!

6 comments:

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Nice work Carolyn! I am the same way--I'd only see the reflection of the old color every time I looked at it... Great job making it perfect.

Have a great day.
Pam

Designs on 47th Street said...

You did GOOD! You were really good to take the mirror apart and paint the back. I probably would have put it in a corner and said I would get back to it later..I'm bad that way!

Yes, it takes awhile to remember and take before pictures but you'll get it! :)

Donna

Toyin O. said...

Congrats on your successful paint job, keep up the good work:)

ChristianKid said...

omgosh that looks AWESOME!! so much better than that fake looking thing that used to be there. Really gives the bathroom more class!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This cracked me up! I've not done my first spray paint job yet but you have inspired me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...