Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I'm going to make a fool out of myself

After reading about all the amazing "before and after" projects I've seen on other blogs the past couple of years, I have been looking around my own house and thinking of all the totally cool stuff I could do. I have an old bedroom set... wood shelves... a wood cabinet my father made back in the 60's... and much more. I just love projects and am always trying to think of something creative to do! Hubby laughs at me because my favorite magazine is Handy Man.

All the projects I want to do lately require sanding the wood first. I've never sanded a thing in my life. But, my father was an expert hobby woodworker and carpenter and I just know I inherited some of that talent.

So I pulled a drawer off the old dresser and took it out to the garge. Found some sandpaper in Hubby's toolbox and happily started sanding away!

About 40 minutes later (along with a couple of blisters and a broken nail -- not to mention all the sawdust in my eyes and on my clothes and shoes) and my dresser drawer really doesn't look all that sanded. It actually looks exactly the same. Except now it has a bunch of scratches all over it. Wow. I worked very hard at that. I'm obviously a failure at sanding things. I did not inherit the cool woodworking gene from my dad after all.

This is how I felt:


I was so bummed out. I had such huge plans pictured in my mind of all the beautiful things I could create out of all the old stuff. But as a sanding failure, I wouldn't be able to do anything now...

......

......

.....



But then ... a surprise ... ...

Whoa!!! Just look at what my sweet Hubby bought me!!




An electric hand sander ... sanding ... thingie! It arrives tomorrow! Oh my gosh, I can't WAIT to sand something!

(!!! happy dance !!!)

My hopes and dreams have been restored! I'm going to be a sanding fool! You are all going to read about the most awesome and incredible "before and after" projects on my blog one day.


Thanks for visiting!

7 comments:

Pam @ Our Adventures in Home Improvement said...

Congratulations! Enjoy your sanding projects. :)

Pam

Ladybird Ln said...

Good luck, that looks like a great sander! I can't wait to see your before and after posts!

Carlee,
ladybirdln.blogspot.com

Kathy@ Gone North said...

Oh Fun!!! & very sweet..
& it looks even a little "girlie" :)
I had something similar this week... oldest son said, "Mom, I bought you something" & he hands me a new staple gun.. I did that upholstery project with an older one & he thought I should have something better.. sweet Boy :)
+ it was a power tool & it was on sale... his kind of deal.. :)

Now make sure you show us what you do with your new toy

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what the right tool will do! Snaps to Don for choosing it for you~

Entertaining Women said...

You're going to love your sander...and very quickly you're going to want a detail sander. Yes, another expense, but you'll get mush better results on anything with turned pieces...corners hard to reach, etc. Thank you for dropping by my post a for the follow. I'll be following, you, too. Cherry Kay

Elisabeth said...

I see so many wonderful projects that it motivates me, too. But I have tried doing some of these things quite a long time ago and didn't do too well, alas. It takes a LOT of work.

That was so sweet of your hubby to get that for you. I hope you have lots of fun. :)

Elisabeth

Susan Nowell @ My Place to Yours said...

What a great hubby! Can't wait to see what you do with your new sander! I know the feeling... Soooo many cool projects just waiting in the wings.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...