Friday, May 20, 2011

A sad day in Lilac-Land

The east side of our acreage property is lined with 45 lilac bushes. They are absolutely gorgeous when in full bloom during May! 

It is hard to tell from these photos, but the bushes are approximately 10-12 feet high. They were planted by the previous owners. When we first moved here, I wasn't too happy about lilac bushes because I never cared for anything "lilac-scented." My opinion changed immediately the first year we arrived because the scent of real lilacs is amazing

Each year (from the time she could walk) my daughter cuts bouquets of fresh lilacs in May and we enjoy them indoors as well.  

Lilacs just beginning to bloom.

The past two winters have brought a tremendous amount of snow to NW Iowa. It was very heavy snow and as it blew in and piled up each time, our lilac bushes were buried. 

Then as the snow melted this spring, we realized that the lilacs were severely damaged after being crushed by heavy snow. We considered every possible way to save them without cutting them all the way back, but the damage was so bad, we had only once choice. Cut them back.
  

Lilacs last year just starting to bloom. 45 bushes here, each one 10-12 feet high!

Lilacs this year after being cut. It'll take a couple of years, but they'll come back!

The view driving up to our property. The lilacs wrap around the trees. One tree in the corner has died -- we couldn't even see that tree until the lilacs came down.

One more view. Dead tree is hidden back in the corner.

Along with the 45 lilac bushes, we also cut back 32 dogwood shrubs! These were also crushed by the snow this winter. They were about 8 feet high.

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both varieties are very hardy and will rebound well after the cutting, Carol. The past two winters were so hard on many things. I'm so sorry it damaged something so beautiful on your property. :(

The Decorative Dreamer said...

That must have been heartbreaking. Maybe they will come back even fuller then ever before after being cut back. I do have say you have some gorgeous property there too in addition to your beautiful lake! Lucky lady!!! :))

Full Circle Creations said...

Oh that makes me so sad! I know it's okay to have to cut them back but they were so beautiful! I know what you mean about the amount of snow. It's been crazy.
Holly

Babs said...

Sad about your lilacs and dogwood, but hopefully they'll come back twice as beautiful... if that's possible. The before photos were glorious. I can just imagine the fragrance with so many... heaven.
Hope you have a great weekend,
Babs

Jodi said...

That is terrible, but hopefully they will come back better than before! I was never a fan of lilac either until I smelled the "real" thing! I LOVE them now, wish I had a bush. There is a business in town that has a bunch, big like yours, I tell my daughter all the time, we should sneek back there and cut some!! :)
Have a great weekend....rainy! I need to get my flowers planted, hopefully Sunday! :)

Jodi

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Oh I gasped when I saw your beautiful lilacs cut back but I know they will come back! Lilacs are one of my favorites but we are in the woods and have so much shade I ahve never gotten but one or 2 blooms in a year! Have a great weekend! XO, Pinky

Keetha Broyles said...

You had a sad lilac day and I had a joyful one.

I so wanted lilacs in our yard - - - but for some reason I thought the bushes along the back fence WEREN'T lilacs - - - then today I noticed their blooms getting ready to open.

Sure enough - - - LILACS!!!! I'm a happy camper!

Dianne said...

Those Lilacs were wonderful and I can't even image how that many bushes would scent the air! So sorry for the damage, but they are hardy and will be back soon. I am so jealous, I have been asking my landscaper husband for lilac for 12 years now..... cobbler's kids you know. Dianne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...