Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day! Spring has arrived at the lake!

I always love Mother's Day! It falls right about the time that it is ok to finally start planting. The garden centers are just bursting with colorful plants waiting to be picked up and brought home. As I write this, I just know there are items out there with MY name on them waiting for me to come and get them!

Yesterday, hubby and I spent some time getting our flower pots ready for planting. I used to do a lot of containers on our deck and patio but the last few years, I've narrowed it down to just a few. I think once our acreage sells and we only have one house to deal with, then I can concentrate more on what I'm planting.

This Mother's day morning has brought us rainy weather! Which is great for us considering we just planted an entire lawn by the guest house and garage!

I don't know if I'll get out today to a garden center to pick up my annuals after all. For now I'm just enjoying the rain.

Here are a few shots of spring in Northwest Iowa... 

May brings hummingbirds!

And Orioles...
 
One of my favorite birds -- Harris's Sparrow 

Squirrels are always everywhere...

Tree Swallows always claim this house each spring.

Oh deer!

Mourning Dove

Another favorite -- Robin!

Yellow Warbler

Canadian Goose on nest

Skunks are always around, too. Ugh.

Rose-breasted Grosbeaks

Goldfinches and an Indigo Bunting (they are shy birds!)

Great-Horned Owl. We often look out the window to see this guy looking back at us!

 Raccoons are also everywhere. And not shy at ALL.

 Trumpeter Swans

Mother's Day gift from my daughter a couple of years ago. I love these!


Thanks for visiting! Happy Mother's Day! 

16 comments:

Lori E said...

Are you serious? You have all those beautiful birds in your yard? Wow. That is so cool.

Buttercup Bliss said...

I LOVE all the pics of the animals. So pretty and peaceful!!!

Dianne said...

Your photos are stunning. I love all the color on your birdfeeder.

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

Fantastic photos, Carolyn! I really love the picture of the Indigo Bunting bird- his color is stunning. I hope you have a wonderful time planting your garden!

Dee said...

Thanks for the beautiful photos. How lucky you are to have all these birds and animals enjoying your yard, even the skunk ;-)

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

That is one fat Robin:):) LOL! WE ahve alot of the same birds and SQUIRRELS, but the raccoons are driving us crazy! They want to live on our roof!!!!!!!!! We hear them at night. It is NOT good!!!! Hope you had a great Mother's day! XO, Pinky

Keetha Broyles said...

Did you have hummers today? We used to ALWAYS see our first one in Indiana every Mother's Day - - - how they KNEW it was Mother's Day I've no idea! Hehehehe

I'm in all out bird envy - - - the oriole, Great-Horned Owl, and Indigo Bunting are all birds we'd LOVE to attract to our yard, but have never succeeded in doing.

I LOVE Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks. Some folks call them the "cowboy bird" for obvious reasons. We used to get them spring and fall passing through our yard in Indiana.

Blondie's Journal said...

You definitely have your share of wildlife! What a wonderland you live in. Great shots!

I can feel the excitement of getting my hands in my own pots and garden beds...Mother's Day has always marked the time to do that. It feels like summer is just around the corner!

Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Carolyn!

XO,
Jane

Anonymous said...

Happy Mothers' Day, Carol!

Jodi said...

Beautiful pictures! I was at my in laws tonight, they had an oriole on their hummingbird feeder, plus a hummingbird! They are so cute. I need to get my hummingbird feeder out; I didn't realize they came this early!

Take care! Jodi

Pamela Gordon said...

I love all your bird and animal photos! Beautiful, except for Pepe Le Pew (how do you spell that?). Our dog has had 3 run ins with Mr. Skunk over the years! Not fun at all. It is still cool in the East of Canada so we are very anxious for warm sunshine. Have a great week.

Pamela Gordon said...

I love all your bird and animal photos! Beautiful, except for Pepe Le Pew (how do you spell that?). Our dog has had 3 run ins with Mr. Skunk over the years! Not fun at all. It is still cool in the East of Canada so we are very anxious for warm sunshine. Have a great week.

The French Hutch said...

You are certainly Blessed with beautiful surroundings. We have a lot of birds, but it stops there. I would enjoy watching the animals too.
I really love the color of the lilly your daughter gave you for a previous Mother's Day. So lovely.
Beautiful Post..........

~Emily

Janet said...

I love that you have Orioles... I sure wish we did! Your photos are stunning. How lucky we both are to have these creatures on our property! You in Iowa and me in North Carolina... Lovin' the critters!

Anonymous said...

what wonderful photos,, I'm your newest follower,, I thought I was but I guess I was wrong so,, if you see me following twice,, please excuse my mistake!!

Beth said...

Oh, Carolyn, how lucky you are to see such birds! We see orioles fly through but haven't been able to get them to stay and eat - I need to page back and look at your feeder. I love your critter photos!!!
Hugs, Beth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...