Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Christmas Cactus story

Christmas cactus plants are so beautiful. I have admired them for as long as I can remember. I have tried to keep one alive for as long as I can remember as well. I usually fail... my plant dies... but I do get an "A" for effort.

When I was a little girl, my grandmother told me a story about a Christmas cactus. Well, it may have been about a rose. I can no longer recall much of what she said and nobody else in the family remembers the story either...

I do remember this part: "Whenever you see a rose blossoming, it is honoring Christ our Lord." And then she said "Don't ever forget Jesus -- because He loves you and He will never forget about you."

I've always associated the flower blossoming with a Christmas cactus. Since I was a teenager, I have had one of the plants in my home. They never stay around for more than a few years because unfortunately, every single one I have had has met its demise under my care. 

About 7 years ago, I picked up yet another Christmas cactus. It was the largest one that I had ever dared to bring home. Its blooming time had ended for the season and it was on clearance for a great price and I couldn't pass it up. I brought it home, re-read all the info I could find on caring for one, and put it in our living room with prayers that this one would do well. It was in a room that we didn't use very much, but according to the care instructions, this is the place where the plant should flourish.

And flourish it did! This cactus grew larger each year and was absolutely beautiful! However, it never - not once - bloomed with flowers. Not even a hint of a bud appeared on this plant. I finally came to the conclusion that I bought a flawed or disabled Christmas cactus. I continued to take care of it and loved it just the same. I was so happy I hadn't killed it.

Starting in 2008, we lost a lot of people in our lives. Hubby's best friend died that year from cancer. A few weeks later, his dear sister passed away. A month later, his uncle passed away. A few weeks later, my grandmother died. Six weeks later, hubby's aunt died. (He considered her like his mother as she raised him for most of his life.) And six weeks after that, my mother passed away.

It was 7 straight months of losing many people we loved so much.

My grandmother was 96 years old and the first person I had lost in my immediate family since my father died 21 years earlier. That day, my mother and I talked on the phone for over an hour, talking and reminiscing about my grandmother... it was November.

Still thinking of my grandmother a couple hours later, I went into the living room to look at the Christmas cactus. After all, my grandma's story is the reason why I always have one...

When I stepped into the room and saw the plant I was stunned! The plant that did not have a single flower in almost 5 years was in a complete and glorious full bloom! The color was stunning -- it was a peach color instead of the usual red or pink. I didn't even know they came in that color! Surprised and shocked doesn't begin to cover how I felt seeing this familiar yet strange plant in my home! I just stood there staring at that gorgeous plant in all its glory!

I watered the plant maybe a week earlier and I did not see any indication that it was on the verge of blossoming. Looking back, perhaps the buds were not noticeable since they were a peach color. I don't know. 

Of course I immediately thought of my grandmother. How wonderful and eerie and amazing that the very plant I have -- because of the story she told me 35 years earlier -- bloomed in full glory on the day she died.

I wish I could say the plant continued to grow and became larger and more beautiful -- but alas, this Christmas cactus died just three months later. It seemed to have given everything it had with all those beautiful blossoms and wore itself out. I actually bid it farewell the day after my mother died in March 2009.

After that, I didn't buy another Christmas cactus for over a year.

Last December, in 2010, I saw some pretty little ones in a store and they had many blossoms. I couldn't help myself and picked up one with pretty red blossoms. Within 7-10 days, all the blossoms fell off. And the little buds that tried to grow fell off. I was destined for another dead plant. Yet... the plant continued to stay alive... for an entire year... but it never bloomed again.

Until last week. My little Christmas cactus has a flower! One little flower! I try to contain my excitement since 35+ years of history with these things has not worked out well.

But check it out! Isn't this the prettiest little bloom?
 




If I look very closely, I can see 5 more teeny tiny little blooms beginning.

This could be my year.


Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

Out on the prairie said...

One plant I always have. It is a few weeks of 60 degrees of less that inspires these to bloom.I just shot a cousin,but still family this last weekend that had real thick stems.

Anonymous said...

I gave my mom a cactus one year and it grew to an impressive size, blooming as early as October some years. She told me they thrived on neglect, since every plant she ever had dried up and died. When she was no longer able to take care of herself, the cactus went elsewhere to live and I have no idea if it's still alive.
Thanks for sharing your story, and I hope this cactus lives a long happy life!

ChristianKid said...

that's a really cool story mom!!

RHome410 said...

It is gorgeous! And you have me in tears with your story. What a tough year you had then. I hope these new blooms only connect to great blessings.

Janet said...

My Oma always had a Christmas cactus blooming in December. Like you, I've tried... But unlike you, I've never succeeded - Bravo, you!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

OMGoodness, I am so sorry for all your losses! I have had Christmas cactuses and have a beautiful one now that is several years old. In fact it is the type that blooms at Thanksgiving and Easter, not Christmas. Mine is just now dropping all the beautiful blooms from Thanksgiving. A cactus needs almost no water!!!! I had mine out on our deck all summer and maybe watered it TWICE all summer. So, really neglect yours and see what happens:):) XO, Pinky

Greg said...

to really have one to keep and not die is really easy..these come from South American rainforests, they grow on trees, meaning that water never pools..all you need is perlite and cactus soil..for each scoop of cactus soil put in the exact same of perlite..you can also use "fine grade" Orchid bark, they love that. place in a south facing window and water about every 3 to four weeks or if the top inch of soil is dry..feel the soil and if you have no residue on your finger that means there's no moister there..place your finger a little further down and if it's not moist and isn't sticking to your finger then water. Also if you place it outside in a semi shady area (I suggest under a tree, or under the shade of a tree) after the spring frost and let nature take its course, you'll be amazed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...