Saturday, July 9, 2011

Municipal Band in a Small Town

Each year in the early summer, my daughter participates in our town's Municipal Band. Musicians of all ages can participate and they practice once a week and then perform on Thursday nights. The performance is held outside by the county courthouse.

She really enjoys being a part of the band -- and it enables her to continue playing/practicing her trumpet especially now that high school is over. Next summer, after her sophomore year in college, she will most likely be living in her college town and has already looked into participating in that town's municipal band.

I enjoy hearing the band and visiting with friends who attend the performances. They begin by playing our National Anthem and everybody stands and faces the American flag in the courthouse square. People who are walking by in the nearby streets will also stop during the rendition. And the majority of people salute the flag with their right hand over their heart. This always has a huge emotional effect on me. I think more so because I grew up as a dependent in the US Air Force and learned from a very early age what our American flag represents.  

Set up around the band is a tiny version of a farmer's market. There are tables set up with jams and jewelry and even Tupperware for sale. (I was excited to get a Tupperware catalog!)

It's one of my favorite events each summer! 

Local musicians perform for about an hour each Thursday night.

My daughter is the back row on the trumpet.

The streets are blocked off for the performance.

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Very cool! I love that your daughter can still participate, even after high school. It sounds like a fun way to spend a summer night.

Have a great weekend.
Pam

Pat said...

What a lovely tradition. I also become emotional when the National Anthem is played.

Pat said...

What a lovely tradition. I also become emotional when the National Anthem is played.

Out on the prairie said...

There is a lot of hidden talent in all our towns. I really enjoy these events and go to a number around me.

Anonymous said...

the best part of summer I think are the out door celebrations.Lovely photos thankyou for sharing this

Anonymous said...

I sure miss seeing my own in Muni-Band. This is the first year since Jared started in 7th grade, that I haven't had anyone play. He and Ryan both played every summer through middle school and high school. :'(
Sadly, it's hard to get excited about going out to see them now. Maybe next year I won't feel so raw about not having them there and will enjoy it more.

Kaybe said...

That's what community is all about! I'd have to join the group that marches with the lawn chairs due to no musical skills.

Take good care,

Karen

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

What a wonderful thing. Glad your daughter can play with them! I sure could use some NEW Tupperware!!!! Have a great weekend. XO, Pinky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...