Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Garden center shopping and cool things from a speeding car

A couple of weeks ago, hubby had to pick up some bags of grass seed for the new lawn and announced he needed to make a quick trip to the garden center near Lake Okoboji.

I was in the passenger seat of the car before my sweetie could finish his sentence. I love going to garden centers!

This is one of my favorite places to go -- Ferguson's Garden Center. You can see their website here.

("Quick trip." Yeah -- right. He shouldn't have mentioned it to me if he wanted to make a quick trip. heh.)

They are loaded with everything imaginable pertaining to the outdoors and garden decor! I had to take a few photos to share. I also bought two things -- can you guess what I got?

Entrance to the garden center

Outdoors in the front area -- see the tall giraffes?

A closer shot of the giraffes -- how cool are these? 

Loved this fish planter! If it had come in green, it would've been mine.

Some cool things by the entrance including bottle trees and word rocks

Loved this owl rock!!

Unusual painted metal cow...

Cutesy Dalmatian planters

Loaded with lawn doo-dads!

And planters of every size, shape, texture and color...

Fountains, benches, statuaries in every corner.

I love turtles and frogs and thought this turtle fountain was so unique!

These planters and mushrooms had me at "hello!"

Wall full of quirky signs inside the building

Mermaids are cool! So was the fish planter they were displayed in.

This mermaid was awesome! I didn't notice until I was looking at my photos later but I'm crazy for the table they are sitting on. Didn't even notice that! I may have to return to the store...

So much garden decor everywhere -- from giant giraffes to a tiny little plant stake.

Wide open store with wall-to-wall fun things

Giant sign in front of the business

Closer shot of a bottle tree. I see these on so many blogs! Love the ones decorated with the colored bottles.

See the mama duck with her three babies behind her? Very unique!

Every size, shape and color...

Beautiful green color on these!

Whimsical bug garden stakes

Cool turtle and sundial. So much -- it's easy to miss things if you're on a quick trip!

I personally find ants (of any kind) creepy, but these were cute.

Another turtle! His body is in the shape of a heart.

Glass fountain -- very cool!

A mermaid vase... years ago, I was trying to find a mermaid and nobody had them anywhere. I found a bunch on this day!

Colorful display at the checkout

Isn't this the ugliest pink flamingo?? Looks like he was in a war zone... even the flamingo on his left was shot down.

Another shot of the front outdoor area

These ferns were HUGE!! 

The annual area -- or what's left of it in July.

Flea market that hubby wouldn't stop at. LOL! Photo taken from window of car. I think hubby sped up as we went by...

Quick shot of Lake Okoboji taken from the car as we sped over the bridge.

Historic Arnold's Park amusement park. Taken from the car. This Coney Island style attraction is located right on the lake, and is home to the 13th oldest wooden roller coaster in the U.S.! It's so much fun to ride the Ferris wheel right over the water! You can see their website here.

Thanks for visiting!!

16 comments:

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

That garden center looks amazing! I'm with you. I could spend hours in there! Thanks for sharing.

Have a great week!
Pam

Babs said...

Carolyn, The garden center is fablous with so many neat garden ornaments. Don't tell me you went home empty handed.
Thanks for sharing the sights along the way too.
Babs

Anonymous said...

Ferguson's should pay you for some pretty incredible advertising, Carol!
What DID you come home with?

Dianne said...

Carolyn,
I am with you, we hit every garden center we see, especially when we are on vacation in another area of the country. This one is really something! You bought a bottle tree didn't you?:)

dianne

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Soooo....what did you get????? LOL! That is one amazing garden center! HUGE! 2 years ago I traded out all my plastic and clay pots for ceramic and they are all that pretty blue/green color with a touch of brown drips. I LOOOOVE them! I could spend HOURS at your garden center!!!! Thanks for the virtual visit! XO, Pinky

Jodi said...

Oh, wow, that would definately be worth a road trip!

I love all the pots in the different shapes and colors; beautiful!

Too bad you didn't get to stop at the flea market, I know my hunny would have prob. sped by too.

Take care!Jodi

Anonymous said...

I think your husband and my mine must be related,, he wouldn't have stopped at the flea market and I would have taken and Have taken photos on the fly!

Out on the prairie said...

In the spring I start my odessy of garden centers, going to all within 50 mles and some farther than that. This is a nice one, I like the family ran best.Can't believe you didn't stop for a nutty bar in Arnolds.I have been tempted to drive up just to eat one.

Pat said...

Just love the photo tour of your visit. Strolling through a place fill with wonderful things is a great way to spend some time. Did you come home empty handed?

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

If I lived near this garden center I'd be there once a week! LOL!!! I LOVE the blue fish and the table too! Have a great weekend!

Mary

laxsupermom said...

Wow! I could spend all day in that garden center! Such fun whimsical pieces! Thanks for sharing.

RHome410 said...

A fun-looking place, to be sure. I love the turtles and the glass fountain!

Shelllady said...

We have a garden center here in Virginia that looks very very much like that...it's called Anderson's! I spend hours there any time I go!! (and usually too many $ there too!) My daughter and I always go in the early spring, when everything is blooming and it's just gorgeous!! Thanks for Sharing!!

::Hugs::

Cheri

Heather at Farm to Fork said...

I would love to visit your garden store. I could get lost in there. You must walk out with tons of ideas.

The Decorative Dreamer said...

I love places like this! So many goodies! We have one here in SC like that, it's called Woodleys. It doesn't have quite as many doodads as yours but quite enough. We are hoping to put a water feature at the end of our pool and I really want a mermaid but am having trouble finding one the right size, that spouts water. May have to go with something else. I would have been in the car lickety split if my husband were going too. Thanks for sharing your visit.

NanE said...

WOW!!! What an awesome garden center, I would love to have something like that around here. That glass fountain is gorgeous. Oh, and the shade garden on the side of your house is gorgeous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...