Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

I hope everybody had a great Father's Day weekend! We sure did -- it was a long and very busy weekend!

We spent Saturday night with our good friends and cooked a pork roast on the Big Green Egg (more about that in a future post). We had appetizers and dinner outside by the fire pit and watched the boats cruise by on the water. Truly a great evening!







I lost my dad 24 years ago, in 1987. He was only 56. He was one of the first people in Texas to receive a heart transplant back in March 1987. I think he was the 5th. He lived another 8 months following his operation and was able to give me away at my wedding in May. Almost losing him and then having a 2nd chance after the miracle of a heart transplant gave me extra time to cherish every single day I had with him. I still miss him so much! I know his heart transplant paved the way for all the future heart transplants and it is a truly a cause close to my own heart.


My dad.


Happy Father's Day to all the DADS!!!

Thanks for visiting! 

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

We had a fire on the patio tonight too, and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY meant to take a picture of it for my blog, and go so sidetracked hanging up white Christmas lights in the new tent-gazebo that I totally forgot until the fire was nothing but embers.

Whew - - - THAT was some run-on sentence.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

What a sweet post. I'm so sorry you lost your Dad, but so glad you did have that extra 5 months and that he was able to give you away. What nice memories you must have.

Take care,
Pam

Out on the prairie said...

Heart has diminished my family, I am the last of siblings and parents.In 1970 I worked at a hospital surgery and it seemed like a miracle to watch transplants for a teen.What lake are you on?

Carolyn said...

Steve, we are on Lost Island in NW Iowa.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...