Thursday, February 24, 2011

I'm glad I don't like antiques!

I live in a rather isolated and rural area -- yet there are still some pretty fun places to check out!

I'm not an "antique" person and rarely go into the many antique stores in our area... To me, an antique store is just filled with a bunch of old boring stuff. Occasionally we will have friends visit who love to go antiquing, so we head off to the stores. When I'm with someone who knows what they are looking at and appreciates and loves it -- the "old stuff" becomes much more interesting!

So I find it a blessing that I don't care for antiques -- otherwise I'd go broke with the many antique stores in my area!

Today at lunch, I thought I'd check out one of the stores in my little town. I was on the lookout for something to go with an upcoming St. Patrick's day tablescape I'm planning. Since I live in a predominently Irish town (complete with an Irish name!) and St. Patrick's Day is practically a national holiday here, I thought maybe I would come across something.

Two items in the store that interested me were this duck (and it didn't look very antique to me) and the pitcher:

This guy was a cutie! It said "cookie jar or casserole" so they probably don't know what it is either.
I liked the basketweave on it.

This pitcher with the grapes on it was very pretty!
I usually am drawn to anything with a grape pattern.
I didn't find anything else... This store had a lot of dishes and glassware -- the stuff I love to look at -- so I may go back when I have more time.

A few more photos from around the store:
 
I did like these dishes -- they were marked "Royal Mail" Fine Staffordshire Ironstone.
Made in England. Each piece had a stagecoach on it.



   



These were different. Kind of a western theme in green.

Many complete sets of dishes...



The blue stemmed glasses said Avon and had George or Martha Washington on them.
Cute for a President's Day theme or 4th of July.

The bunches of glass grapes on the floor reminded me of the ones my mom had back in the 70's.

Old cookie jars

Some pretty linens all over the store
Tall green vase on 2nd shelf down is something I did like!


The 'old' stuff may not be interesting to me, but ALL dishes are. Definitely a place I need to go back and check out one of these days.


Thanks for visiting my blog!

9 comments:

Sue said...

Your pitcher is so unusual...how pretty! I love the black and white dishes, but I love all things black and white these days. I don't love antique shops either and for years I avoided them. I do have some family antiques in my home as well as new(er) things. Since I started blogging, I'm back into at least strolling through the shops. I don't buy much, but sometimes I find very interesting little treasures!

Diane said...

I, too, am a dishaholic. Should we start a support group?

Many of the shops that call themselves "antique stores" really are nothing more than glorified garage sales. It is much more fun to go to antique stores where the owner(s) are truly knowledgeable or have a great eye for unique and interesting objects, regardless of their age.

By the way, thanks for visiting my new blog and becoming a follower. I, too, had never done a tablescape so I just jumped in and tried. I encourage you to do so, also. What better way to use all the wonderful dishes that we have collected?

Carolyn said...

Thank you both for the comments and for following me! I've finally got a follower other than my hubby - yay!

I am all for joining a dishaholic support group... we WILL be supporting each other in our dish purchases, right? :)

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Shopping at antique stores is like searching for a needle in a haystack! The Strattfordshire dishes you saw are so pretty!

Kathleen said...

I would love that store! I see lots of things I would buy, if it was a good price, :). and that duck is def one of them!

Carolyn said...

Pam, I am very tempted by those dishes... I keep thinking about them and looking at the photos. They would make a cool Western theme for a tablescape!

Carolyn said...

Kathleen, I may go back for the duck along with the dishes. I've always loved items that are a basketweave and that duck is just so unusual...

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

I definitely AM an antique lover and saw quite a few goodies I would have been interested in in that store. One of things that I find most fun about antiquing is digging through boxes and looking for hidden treasure - with history. Try it sometime. You just might get hooked! ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Carolyn said...

Liz, it would be fun to go through a store like this with someone who DOES love antiques! I need to make a trip back and dig through boxes. You're right -- that is fun to do!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...