Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Found Treasure

I have been going through some family items I've never looked at before. My mom gave me some boxes a couple of years before she passed away in 2009. They are mostly photographs and a few little mementos.

One item I was thrilled to find was my father's bible. It is embossed with his name on it and is very worn. I'm sure some of the wear and tear on it came from being boxed up for a long time but it is obvious that this bible was used. There are many dog-eared pages and notations along the sides of the pages, especially in the New Testament.



The ribbon bookmark was left in the book of John. I don't know if this is where my dad left it or if it just ended up there but I'm going to go with the former. The location is one of my favorite verses:

"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” -- John 8:32



Yesterday, I was in a local Christian bookstore and made a purchase. When I removed the purchase from the bag later in the day, I found a little card in there with a Psalm verse on it and below that were these words:

A well used Bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't.

The other item I came across was an old Gideons bible. It was presented to my father when he was baptized at the age of 25. There was a space inside the front of the bible where my father had signed stating he accepted Christ as his savior.

I
never knew my father was baptized -- and I didn't know he was saved. This meant a great deal to me!

And then to find the little card in my bag with those words printed on it...
Wow. Love it.


Thanks for visiting my blog!



Linking to:

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss my dad too, Carol. How wonderful to come across such a personal part of him to keep close.

Grannys Attic said...

I am so happy for you. To find something that was your dads and then find out he was saved must have really gave you a piece of mind and great memories. Blessings, Vicky

Sue said...

I truly believe that things like this are little messages from our loved ones...what a blessing to have both the treasures and the message.

Carolyn said...

Thank you for the comments! Finding these items meant sooo much to me. My dad passed away when he was 56 and my time with him as an adult myself was so short.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

While the discovery of the Bible was a wonderful gift, the realization that your dad had accepted Christ as Savior was a gift beyond measure! How wonderful that you have the assurance that he is in Heaven, awaiting his loved ones. ;)

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Renee Ann said...

Love the quote! Your father's Bible is a treasure. So glad God led you to it. I'm visiting from Spiritual Sunday. Blessings!

Charlotte said...

What a wonderful find. I've also been looking at other posts on your blog. I love all those room pictures. Love the style, love the colors. And I love the water in your background on your blog. I'm so glad you found us and chose to share on Spiritual Sundays.
Have a great weekend.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I can tell in your post that you loved your father very much. Its like he was reaching out to you from heaven, to say "Hey. Its me. I'm all right. I love you."
Have a happy Spiritual Sunday! :)

Carolyn said...

Thank you everybody! I was so happy to share this post on Spiritual Sundays. Finding these items meant EVERYTHING to me... my father passed away in 1987 at the age of 56 and there was so much left unsaid at that time. This said it all. :)

From The Heart said...

What a blessed discovery! Have a great Sunday!
Shirley

Joan Hall said...

Carolyn:

You certainly found a treasure and how blessed you are to have discovered this. I'm glad you shared this today.

Blessings,
Joan

Mya said...

Coincidences like these make me wonder - coincidence or maybe not. Makes me think about God using perfect timing to have things come together at the right moment.

I truly like your pictures of the lake - what a perfect place to live.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This is such a wonderful post. I wanted my grandfathers Bible,I'm not sure who has it now but it was well used.
God Bless,
Ginger

Nikki (Sarah) said...

love that quote....and your post.

Pamela said...

What a treasure! We have my husband's parent's Bibles and they are so special. Most of all the words in the books speak to us in love, correction, hope and joy.

Blessings,
Pamela

Vintagesouthernlife said...

What a priceless treasure you found. I know it means a lot to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...