Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Think I can hit the side of a barn?

Why yes! I can! I can definitely hit the side of a barn.

Hubby took me out yesterday to practice shooting. I've never used a firearm before, so this was my first time!  

The barn is in front of a hill and will eventually be taken down, saving the old wood of course.
Our target sheet is to the right of the door.

For awhile now, I've considered getting my concealed carry weapon permit -- aka CCW. I want to have this for a few reasons, but the two main ones are:


1. It is my constitutional right.
2. I occasionally drive hubby's truck. Just in case his firearm is still in the vehicle, I will be legally covered.

To receive my CCW permit in the state of Iowa, I decided to take an online course. Once I receive the certificate of completion via the mail in a few days, I can take that to my county sheriff's office. (Before taking the course, we did check with our county sheriff to make sure that this course was acceptable. Many are not. There are other options as well -- please research the requirements for Iowa or your state if you are thinking of obtaining a CCW permit.)

If you are an Iowa resident and interested in taking the same online course I took, here is the link: http://www.cedarvalleyfirearmstraining.com/courses. He has a money back guarantee that this course will be accepted by your sheriff. (I still checked with our sheriff before taking it.)  

I learned SO much from this! I needed to pass all six sections with a 90% or better. There were a couple sections that I flunked the first time (and even the second time) but failing and re-taking them made me learn the material well.


See my groupings on the target? I think I did pretty well for a newbie!


Thanks for visiting!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

goog for you,, living in Northern Ontario guns are a part of life,, where we grew up and lived 37 years of married life we needed to have guns for safety, (bears ans wolves), your need for your gun license makes perfect sense to me.

Pat said...

Well good for you...My daughter and her husband are taking lessons.

Out on the prairie said...

save that barn!!!!!I call it punching paper, I have been carrrying for a few years.It is a right, and I enjoy target shooting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...